Tuesday, September 24, 2013

No fish market. No Imperial Palace. No Zoo. No Museum.

First: all my pics from Tsukuba Circuit are uploaded here:
https://plus.google.com/photos/117074737029121426723/albums/5926446699629443649

I woke up late....
That's how the rest of this post is going to go so you might want to stop reading here.
I woke up late... 6:30am. I have a 1 1/2 hour train ride to get to the fish market and all the guidebooks I have say it slows way down after 8. So I weigh my options. While they are being weighed I fell back to sleep. Choice made. No fish market today. I was still planning to go to the Mobara Twin Circuit, another race track, as they were having a drift event today. I check the train schedule and the express was not running today. That would turn my 2 hour ride to the track into a 4 1/2 hour one. No drifting today.
I decided to go to the imperial palace instead. As we found out earlier, it is closed on Monday and friday. Today being a tuesday, it is neither monday or friday. Hopped a train, Jumped off at Tokyo station, walked 4 blocks. Palace closed....   Yesterday, monday, was a holiday. And if monday or friday is a holiday then the palace will be closed the following day as well.... It's like they don't want people to see it.






I walked back to the train station and took myself to Ueno station. Ueno station is just outside of Ueno park. This is a big park surrounded by a zoo, a few art galleries and several museums. It even has its own Starbucks.
Here is the National History Museum. Closed.
 Here is the Zoo. Closed.
 Giant Raven. Open for business.
 Creepy amusement park. Closed.
 Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum. Closed.
 Giant whale. Closed.
So I set myself wandering. Just outside of Ueno station there is a pretty good market. With a lot of Japanese guys yelling at me like I understand what they are telling me about their stuff.
 I am not going to lie. It does not smell awesome.




 "Some samurai  wear cowboy boots. These are the hard truths we must embrace if we are to truly know ourselves." - Not an Old Japanese saying.



Then I had yet another awesome crepe and took the train back home.
Once home I grabbed my tiny bicycle and went for a ride down river.
I definitely ate this donut.



 I like it here.

 Here is a Panoramic from my roof.


No comments: