Saturday, September 14, 2013

Monorail, Castles and some sunburn.

My jet lag isn't as bad as you'd think. It actually lets me see a lot of sunrises, even if I am dead on my feet by 7 pm. That's what energy drinks are for, right?
Anyway, on Friday I was up early; either from the jet lag or I was too excited to go see Shuri Castle. (It was the first one.)  The castle opened at 8:30 and is a few miles from my hotel. That sounds like the perfect excuse to use the Okinawa/Naha-shi monorail! Monorail. Monorail. Monorail. It's only 600 yen ($6) for 24 hours and snakes through the length of Naha! Bargain. So, I hopped the monorail and rode it to the end of the line.






Once there it's a short walk through an neighborhood and up a nice trail on the castle grounds to get to the castle.









I might have mentioned the heat before. Incase you skipped that part, the heat, it is oppressive. Before I got to the castle I had to stop at the "rest center" just outside the walls. "Rest center" must be code for "Gift Shop" in Japanese. I bought a nice fedora and a sweat towel. These are towels that people here wear around their necks just for de-sweating themselves. I have found my new towel invaluable. Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy is right yet again.
A boy and his towel.




The castle itself is neat. Or the reproduction of the castle they have built. I was severely blown up in WW II in the battle of Okinawa. But that doesn't mean I don't still have to take my shoes off and put them in a bag to walk through.





After the castle was finished it was time for some more monorail and a trip to the local mall. No photos allowed in the mall! But, it was very average for a mall and the A/C was amazing.
Souvenir shopping? 

Today (Saturday) I took a ride to Torii Beach with Adam, Hollie and their kido. On the way we stopped at a bagel shop, Cactus Eatrip Cafe, that makes an excellent bagel. I had an Oreo bagel with Oreo cream cheese and a hummus veggies sandwich on a curry bagel.

The beach was great and the weather perfect. The water is clear, cool and very refreshing,


After a few well spent hours at the beach we retired to the A/C'd comfort of Adam & Hollie's house. We didn't dare leave again until the sun was just about to set. Then it was time for ocean side ramen.

 This cloud looks like the British isle. And it's a pretty color. 

No comments: